Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Levitation

Purpose:
To explore Halloween and its connections to “paranormal” and “levitation”;
To learn how Levitation is being used in the world of photography;
To make connections from levitation to real-world uses;
To create levitation photographs inspired by other amateur and professional photographers.




The visual levitation photograph examples impacted my work tremendously, as they exposed me to the art of levitation and inspired the photos that I created both directly and indirectly. All of the photos above are based, to varying degrees, off of images I came across online that I really liked. Looking at examples also impacted the way I did my shadows because I wasn't exactly sure how to make them look realistic. Through comparing my images to those online, I was able to, for the most part, make my shows the right color and place them in the correct locations. I found Pinterest very helpful because it offered me a wide variety of images that were filled with dozens of ideas that I could be inspired by. Pinterest also provided some step-by-step images showing how to set up pictures to make people look like they are actually levitating.

 I think what went well was the accuracy of my erasing and my shadows. I spent a very long time attempting to erase the background from the original image of my subject as accurately as possible. This contributed to the success of my photographs because it made it look less pasted in and more like it had always been a part of the picture. Another way I was able to make it look like it was originally there is by using the tool with the soft edge when removing my background. Another thing that I feel went well was my shadows. I looked at several different photos online in comparison to each of the photos I created to see where my shadow should go. When I got the location correct, I then corrected the opacity to make it look the most realistic. I think that one of the biggest reasons my shadows worked very well is because I warped them a bit, most clearly seen in my image of Roya tipping off the chair, which made them look more realistic.

I think the biggest challenges I faced in this project were the background and the colors. It was very hard for me to find a background that both fit my screen, suited the image, and was crisp. I ended up using two backgrounds from the internet and one of my own photographs. It was also very difficult to make sure that the images don't have places that could mistakenly look like ground that the feet are resting on, which could strip the photo of its levitational properties. Another big challenge for me throughout this project was the color. The color of my subjects do not really match the colors of my background, which makes it look rather unrealistic. This is because I took my photos inside where the light may have been different than it is in the image I used as my background so they simply don't match which makes it obvious that the subject was pasted onto the background.


No comments:

Post a Comment